Ahead of this week’s SBC India event, and in light of the often confusing state of affairs in the subcontinent, Asia Gaming Brief has prepared a visual summary of sports betting, skill gaming, lottery, and casinos in the Indian market. This is one of the final frontiers for Asian gaming, and we are here to help you make sense of it. We also take a look this morning at recent legislative changes in the Philippines, intended to tighten up the nation’s AML policies. Finally, we acknowledge the ongoing digital transformation in the US gaming market as Caesars picks up a fantasy sports platform.
First, the news
- Philippines confident of avoiding FATF gray list
- Okada says online casino/asset sale claims are false
- Okada Manila installs LED tech on gaming floor
- PAGCOR funds evacuation centers in Mountain Province
- Caesars picks up a fantasy sports platform
- Genting NY to be significant feeder for LV resort: Fitch
- Playtech looks to sell off its financial trading arm
- Macau GGR down “significantly” amid China Covid outbreaks
- Macau loses 19,000 non-resident workers in 2020
- MGM co-organizes seminar on Chinese consumer behavior
- Australia’s Reef Casino Trust sees profit for 2020
- Crown says Moody’s withdraws rating for unit’s note program
- Thailand bust turns up 160 illegal slot machines
What you need to know
The Philippines says it’s now confident that it will avoid being placed on the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) gray list after the House of Representatives approved amendments to its anti money laundering bill. One of the amendments is the inclusion of Philippine Offshore Gambling Operators and their service providers as covered persons, who will need to report transactions in excess of P500,000 ($104,000).
Confirming the major shift in the US market of traditional land-based operators moving big into the online market, the latest news is that Caesars Entertainment has made a strategic investment in the daily fantasy sports platform SuperDraft. Operating across seven professional sports in more than 35 states, SuperDraft will join Caesars’ existing online brands; namely, World Series of Poker, Caesars Online Casino, and, upon the acquisition’s close, William Hill, as part of the firm’s wide offering of mobile and online gaming channels.
BY THE NUMB3RS
Ahead of this week’s SBC India event, held online from 27th – 28th January, Asia Gaming Brief has prepared a visual summary of sports betting, skill gaming, lottery, and casinos in India, which is seen as one of the final frontiers for gaming as we know it. The difficulty in locking down what is allowed or prohibited in India is largely centered around each state government’s definition of what is gambling and what is a game of skill. Poker is one such game constantly finding itself on either side of the fence, depending on the jurisdiction.
Orion Art has been a staple in the Macau and Asia gaming industry for well over 15 years, and we have watched Macau grow and its city skyline transform into the jewel it has become today. The 2020 pandemic has shown how quickly and completely this evolution can change, though after a painful year, we’re looking forward to a brighter future.